Total Time 30 minutes
- ¼ cup fine bulgur wheat
- 1 small garlic clove minced (optional)
- Juice of 2 large lemons to taste
- 3 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley from 3 large bunches
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ½ pound ripe tomatoes very finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions finely chopped
- Salt preferably kosher salt, to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 romaine lettuce heart leaves separated, washed and dried
- Place the bulgur in a bowl, and cover with water by 1/2 inch. Soak for 20 minutes, until slightly softened. Drain through a cheesecloth-lined strainer, and press the bulgur against the strainer to squeeze out excess water. Transfer to a large bowl, and toss with the garlic, lemon juice, parsley, mint, tomatoes, scallions and salt. Leave at room temperature or in the refrigerator for two to three hours, so that the bulgur can continue to absorb liquid and swell.
- Add the olive oil, toss together, taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with lettuce leaves.