Arepas con Queso (ah-RAY-pahss john KAY-soh)
- 1 1/2 cups canned hominy
- 1//4 cup liquid from canned hominy
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cheese grated or crumbled
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grind hominy with liquid in blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Form into 12 small bowls and flatten into 2-3 inch patties. Fry on lightly greased griddle over medium-high heat or roast on grill turning to brown both sides.
- The cheese will make Arepas chewy.
- Serve in place of bread with a meal or as a snack.